Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Avocado and lox goodness

So before my awesome amazing massage last week, I stopped in at Whole Foods to pick up some sushi and there were samples, so of course - I grazed. The first thing I saw was something called an Avocado and lox pizza.   I said to myself: "Self, this can't possibly be real!" But alas, this was real - and it was delicious. Now the "pizza" I sampled actually looked like a square pizza with a guacamole type base and piles of lox and some capers and onions, but when I got home later that night I couldn't find anything like it on the interweb. I did, however, find a delicious recipe for an avocado and lox bagel. It is super easy to make and not so bad for you (except for the bagel) but that can be replaced with a healthier substitue such as maybe a piece of pita or a gluten free bagel.

I love this recipe because it is quick and easy and the avocado is a great subsitute for the cream cheese that you might otherwise use. Also, if you don't like any of the ingredients (such as the onions or capers) then just eliminate them. The lox and avocado would be delicious all on their own.

In order to make this tasty creation, you will need:
-2 bagels
-1 whole avocado
-1/2 lemon juiced, plus more to serve
-1 piece smoked salmon (probably a big piece)
-2 think slices of red onion
-2 tablespoons capers
-salt and pepper

Here's what you do:
Toast the bagels and mash the avocados with the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. After the bagels are nice and toasty, schmear each bagel half with avocado spread, then add the smoked salmon, red onion and capers. Squeeze some more lemon juice on there if you are feeling extra feisty.


End result
Recipe courtesy of Tasty Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment