Monday, December 12, 2011

Art a la commode


As you all can probably tell by now, my mind pulls me in 800 different directions when it comes to most things that I do. This also goes for home decor, specifically when it comes to the challenge of decorating the bathroom. I think you can make quite an impression with a well decorated water closet HOWEVER the problem is that, there are so many different directions you can go in!
I have to admit, I got tired of the voices in my head telling me to decorate my bathroom in 38 different ways, so I opted for the simple yet elegant "white" approach. White walls and therefore, white shower curtain and white accessories (actually only one accessory, a soap dispenser...I hate sink top clutter) and glass containers for cotton products. Coupled with my orange and yellow towels for a pop of color, and I am very happy with how it turned out.
Had I allowed myself to pursue one of the ideas I had thought of and researched intensely before the hubs and I moved into the new apartment, my bathroom might have some of the following:
WAIT - I LIED - If I had one bathroom design related wish, it would be for this:

But I can't have it because it is out of print and I can only find it on ebay for a fortune because Herb Ritts died and now everything of his is worth millions.

So now on to my design ideas for the loo:
One idea I had was to decorate with funny celebrity photos such as these from Art.com
   

   
There really isn't anywhere in the house to put shots like these so I figured the loo was appropriate.

My next idea was inspired by a small framed print that I have hanging up in my cube at work

Ciphers and Constellations in Love with a Woman - Joan Miro
I picked this up a few years ago at the gift shop at The Art Institute of Chicago because I thought it was very thought provoking and where better to place something thought provoking than in the john?
Here are a few other Miro works that I find intriguing:

               

             

Even though I opted for very simple bathroom decor, I still feel like I have plenty of ideas for future bathrooms. Perhaps one day if I ever win the Power Ball, I can have a house with 36 bathrooms, all decorated differently!

Also, here are some more unique bathrooms for you to enjoy!

Tells you what to do, in case you forgot


Careful not to let your sink get away

No comments:

Post a Comment