Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wegmans - my review

On Sunday, Stefanie Atkinson and I ventured out to Northborough, Massachusetts to explore the SUPERmarket know as Wegmans. Now let me preface this post by saying that I had very high expectations, probably too high, but given what I had heard about the wonderful world of Wegman's I was convinced that I was basically about to enter the Xanadu of supermarkets. 

Our triumphant arrival at Wegmans
So we pull into the parking lot and what do we see?

To be clear, I am NOT the one who is entitled to park here, No No No
My pregolicious friend Stef was VERY pleased to see this sign (she loves a good pregnancy perk) and this one was RIGHT in front of the door, I mean we couldn't have gotten a better spot (thank you Stef and Brian for conceiving your child in time for the Wegmans store opening)

After getting over the initial parking-related excitement, we went inside. It was pretty packed but they did have those adorable mini carts that some of your fancier grocery stores have nowadays which was nice.

We spent about an hour in the store and rather than boring you all with every last detail, I have put together a good old fashioned pros and cons list to describe the experience.



  • Aforementioned small carts
  • A FABULOUS cheese section. Soft, hard, spreadable, domestic, international, you name it - they have it.
  • Chinese food, Thai, vegetarian, dim sum bars - I think this would be a really good place to come for lunch, they also have a huge eating area
  • Interesting re-heatable prepared foods, although not cheap
  • More greetings cards than at the Hallmark card factory
  • The good Hanukkah candles, like the kind I normally have to go to Bed Bath and Beyond for
  •  One end of the store is a liquor warehouse type situation. Enormous selection. I got some of my new favorite wine!
  • Stef got a reusable shopping bag and some olive oil by signing up for the Wegmans card

CONS (I couldn't find a cool picture)
  • The prices - nothing special. Although I wasn't expecting great prices which made it better
  • The sushi - not impressed. The selection at Whole Foods in Legacy Place and the Star Market in Chestnut Hill is better. The latter being incredible for a supermarket
  • Smaller produce section than I expected, it took us awhile to find the tomatoes
  • Seafood department was lacking, that may have been because it was a Sunday afternoon though, I am willing to let that one slide
All in all, I am glad we got a chance to see what all of the hype was about. It will probably be awhile before I go back, but if they open one in Newton where Omni Foods used to be on Rt. 9 as the rumors are claiming, I will check it out.

P.S. How awful will the traffic be if that happens?! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like HEB , just not as good.. Lol. HEB has it all... Maybe they will expand to the NE one day :)

    ReplyDelete