Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Neck Hurts

SO despite the fact that at the time that I purchased my tickets to California I selected ALL of my seats for all of my plane rides, American Airlines still somehow managed to put me in the middle seats for both of my returning flights. Sweet. Thanks so much for the wicked neck ache American Airlines.

Anywho, the fact that my neck hurts reminded me of a great book I have read multiple times called " I Feel Bad About My Neck" by Nora Ephron (who, FYI, I LOVE). You may have heard of her as the gal who wrote "When Harry Met Sally" and also as the director (and sometimes writer) of films such as You've Got Mail and Julie and Julia, just to name a few.  I highly suggest you purchase this book here because it is hilarious and Nora's writing style is so perfect and witty.
Nora Ephron in a turtleneck so you can't see her neck which she feels bad about
"I Feel Bad About My Neck" also reminded me that my friend Earl (the girl) and I watched another fabulous movie written and directed by Ms. Ephron entitled "Mixed Nuts" FOUR TIMES this weekend. Yes - we watched the same movie four times. Why would we do that, do you ask? Well mostly because it's hilarious but also because we have determined that outside of the two of us, very few people have even seen the movie and this is our way of keeping it alive.  Mixed Nuts is actually a Christmas movie that takes place in Venice Beach, California and follows the Christmas Eve goings on of three people that work for a suicide prevention hotline and some of their friends. Ok I understand it probably sounds a bit weird, but it's worth a screening, I promise. Here are some random funny things that happen in Mixed Nuts:
1. Suicide prevention hotline employee Mrs. Munchnick gets stuck in the elevator trying to leave work and starts using the toys that she bought as gifts for her dead husband's family as a means for someone to hear her and rescue her
2. Mrs. Munchnick constantly refers to herself as Mrs. Munchnick even though her name is Blanche. She is so formal that Mrs. Munchnick
3. There is a serial killer on the loose called the Seaside Strangler that people are terrified of and call the hotline to express their concern to the employees
4. Parker Posey and John Stewart play borderline violent rollerbladers that almost pop a cap in the ass of one of the other characters because he ruins their Christmas Tree...twice
Mixed Nuts: Watch if you want to see Steve Martin take a bath with Rita Wilson
Where is this post going, do you ask? Well I guess what I'm trying to say is that I had a blast in California watching Mixed Nuts on repeat and also that I am probably going to read Nora's book again for the 57th time very shortly (after I get done reading the 5 books that I am currently halfway through).

P.S. Full blown California blog post coming soon







No comments:

Post a Comment