Monday, December 5, 2011

Tartan


While in NYC over the summer, I waited in a loooooooooong line (shout out to the hubs for waiting for over 2 hours with me) to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit entitled " Savage Beauty". To be honest, I would have waited double because this exhibit was unbelievable. U N B E L I E V A B L E, I tell you. I can't say enough good things about it but this blog is really only about a very specific part of the exhibit - tartan. McQueen had an affinity for the pattern as it embodied his Scottish heritage but since he could hardly be described as conventional, he was able to take a somewhat traditional design and make it look unique and unconventional.
A tartan piece from the Savage Beauty exhibit

If it looks familiar, then you are correct because Sarah Jessica Parker wore a version of this dress a few years back

Another designer that rocks tartan, is Ralph Lauren. His interpretation is far more conventional, in my opinion - but still stylish

For example, this awesome nightgown which I happen to own and love
Tartan Flannel Sleep Shirt - Lauren Sleepwear & Hosiery - RalphLauren.com    

Now that the weather is getting colder, I find myself putting on the nightgown and cozying up on the couch under my favorite throw to watch TV and write this blog. tt

Here are a few other tartan favorites from around the interweb

Tartan ties from the Scottish Trading Company


The ever popular Burberry scarf


Piazza Sempione plaid skirt
Women's Piazza Sempione <em>Plaid</em> Wrap <em>Skirt</em>

1 comment:

  1. The ties are another great gift idea for the men in your life!

    ReplyDelete