Monday, January 9, 2012

Overcoming the fitness plateau

While many people are just starting their fitness routines in time for the new year, I find myself reaching a fitness plateau. I have done well with eating and exercise for about 6 months now but am not seeing the kind of results that I was seeing in the past. Therefore, I took in the internet to learn about ways to overcome this annoying little thing. Here is some of the information that I found:

From Hellobeautiful.com

Cheat on your "diet" - I use the word diet in quotes here because it implies short term change which is not what I am going for. I have, however, read this and heard from several people that eating all of that stuff that you don't eat because it is bad for you for a day or even for a meal can help to boost your metabolism when you go back to your regular clean eating habits.

From Military.com (clearly more exercise-based)

Switch up your fitness routine - This is something that I tried last week when I was on vacation and it felt pretty good. My normal cardio consists of straight running but I did the elliptical a few times and it was a nice change plus I could really feel the burn in my legs which kind of hurt but it was on of those good pains if you know what I mean. Military.com recommends doing more interval training which helps to exercise your muscles and your heart and as an added bonus, it also burns more calories.

From Mamashealth.com

Take an active rest - this website suggests taking time off from your fitness routine and doing something more low impact such walking or leisurely sports. This gives your body and your mind a break from your otherwise hectic exercise schedule and you return feeling rejuvenated.

I hope you all have found these tips. I am currently trying tip#2 (since I pretty much tried tip #1 for the entire month of December) and if it works, I will definitely be blogging about it!

How many fitness plateaus do you think I
have to hit before I look like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment